Fourth Annual Outstanding Achievement and Advocacy Awards Banquet
Friday, May 4, 2012
To recognize their remarkable accomplishments of graduates of the Department's degree programs and to acknowledge the support of important friends of the department, the Department established the University of Massachusetts Amherst Computer Science Department Outstanding Achievement and Advocacy Award (OAA) program, under which awards will be presented annually in various categories.
The fourth annual Outstanding Achievement and Advocacy Awards Banquet was held on the evening of Friday, May 4, 2012 in the Amherst Room of the UMass Amherst Campus Center. Over 90 people joined us to help celebrate the accomplishments of our award recipients and to reconnect with fellow alums. View photos of the 2012 OAA Event.
The 2012 OAA Award Recipients are:
- Outstanding Achievement by a Young Alum: Justin Borgman (UMass Amherst CS B.S. '02)
- Outstanding Support for the Department: Frederick W. Byron Jr.
- Outstanding Achievement in Education: Claire Cardie (UMass Amherst CS Ph.D. '94)
- Outstanding Achievement in Research: Edmund Durfee (UMass Amherst Ph.D. '87)
- Outstanding Achievement in Entrepreneurship: Andrew Merlino (UMass Amherst CS B.S. '85)
- Outstanding Support for the Department: Ken Schmidt
- Outstanding Achievement in Research: Henning Schulzrinne (UMass Amherst Ph.D. '92)
- Outstanding Achievement in Technology Development: Ted Selker (UMass Amherst CS M.S. '81)
- Outstanding Contributions to Society: Elliot Soloway (UMass Amherst CS Ph.D. '78)
Award Recipient Biographies
The Graduate Student Award* Recipients are:
- Outstanding Dissertation Award: Aruna Balasubramanian (Ph.D. '11)
- Outstanding Dissertation Award: Timothy Wood (Ph.D. '11)
- Outstanding Synthesis Award: Andres Molina-Markham
- Outstanding Synthesis Award: Robert Walls
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award: Brandon McPhail
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award: Philip Thomas
The Undergraduate Student Award* Recipients are:
- Overall Achievement in Computer Science: Evan Shelhamer
- Achievement in Graphics: Stephen Giguere
- Achievement in Interdisciplinary Study: Vinay Shah
- Achievement in Interdisciplinary Study: Derek Wood
- Achievement in Machine Learning: Tristan Warneke
- Achievement in Security: Jessica Ray
- Achievement in Systems: Marek Blat
- Achievement in Theory: Matthew Kelly
* The Graduate and Undergraduate Student Awards are sponsored by Yahoo!
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
|2:30 - 3:00 p.m.
||- Computer Science Building Tour
|3:00 - 4:00 p.m.
||- Panel Discussion with our award recipients
Computer Science Building, Rooms CS 150/151
|5:00 - 9:00 p.m.
||- Cocktail Reception and Awards Banquet
Register online. Please contact Leeanne Leclerc at 413-545-3640 if you have questions. Banquet Tickets are $35 for each attendee. Please make checks payable to UMass Amherst Computer Science and mail (by April 25) to: Leeanne Leclerc, Computer Science Dept., UMass Amherst, 140 Governors Drive, Amherst, MA 01003-9264.
If you require lodging, please make reservations directly with the hotel. We have a room block at the UMass Campus Center Hotel. For the room block rate, reservations must be made by April 5. See the accommodations page for more details.
The OAA 2012 banquet will be held at the Amherst Room on the 10th floor of the UMass Amherst Campus Center (1 Campus Center Way, Amherst, MA). Parking is available in the Campus Center Garage.
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS:
Nominations will be accepted for the 2013 awards beginning in July. See details on how to nominate someone.